bars.

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Fri Feb 2 08:48 MST 2001

Roger writes:
<<From the design point of view, it definitely looks like a retro fit, or
after thought, to save on the cost of making new plate patterns. Is the
long strut that weak??????

    I don't think so, I have a customer with an 1872 concert grand, and it
has a strut as part of the plate design.

>>My best guess is that it is just a safety margin feature, added because of
some failed plates early in history, and has now been shrouded in mythology.
I would not gamble.>>

   I have restrung both of these pianos in the last 20 years, and both had
the strut quite compressed until the string tension was let off, and then
they were much more easily moved out.  I believe that that strut is to resist
any tendancy of the middle section from bending due to string loading.  The
only piano I have tuned without one is very easily put out of tune by
temperature changes.
I'll see,
Thank,s
Ed