HT's (was Re: bars.)

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Fri Feb 2 08:03 MST 2001

Charles,

Reason #4 sounds like the best reason of all! I love it! LOL.

We just got through with productions of Euridice (in 1/6 Comma
Meantone) and Marriage of Figaro (Prinz). The only complaint I
had was when we had them try Figaro in the Meantone so maybe I
wouldn't have to retune for every performance but it was a
little too strong for them somewhere in the last half. :-)

The Prinz is a "little" strong on chords like Db major & Gb major
but not as much as the Meantone. The Musical Director said it
helped to give the recitatives some 'drive'.

I'm getting there. Little by little. Now if I could just get some
Jazz in a Meantone. :-)

Avery

>BTW, Ed, a piano faculty member is performing the Goldberg Variations
>this weekend on harpsichord and piano, with the hps tuned unequally.
>I will give a brief talk about the differences.  I chose to use the
>Kirnberger temperament, because (1) he was a student of Bach, (2) it
>has just intervals in the basic key of the piece, (3) it has big
>color contrasts, (4) the name sounds somewhat like a sandwich.
>

>Warm regards,
>
>Charles
>--
>Charles Ball, RPT
>School of Music
>University of Texas at Austin
>ckball@mail.utexas.edu

mailto:atodd@uh.edu - Work           "I haven't failed. I've
                                      found 10,000 ways that
mailto:avery@ev1.net - Home           won't work."

Avery Todd                           -Benjamin Franklin-
Moores School of Music
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-4201
713-743-3226