Concert

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu
Thu Apr 26 13:43 MDT 2001

>(Besides,
>how overqualified to you have to be before salaries begin to become
>respectable?)
>
>David Skolnik
>Columbia University

Thanks David!  I agree!

Folks, we keep talking about and adding to what a piano technician ought to
be capable of before he or she should be a CAUT, but we keep avoiding what
a CAUT ought to be worth in terms of salary.  The schools obviously aren't
paying for all these qualifications.  So, why should they be required?

I've been doing a little research on salary ranges for PTs in southeastern
state schools and finding that the average salary won't support a family,
unless it's supplemented by outside work (which administrators "allow, as
long as it doesn't interfere with regular full-time responsibilities" -- I
don't see how interference can be avoided.)  The best salary I've found at
a state school can't possibly support the tech's cost of living.  (Don't
worry, I don't know what any of you make -- I just got ranges.  Most of
them are posted on the Human Resources web site of either your school or
state.)  In fact, I've found private sector custodians who earn more than
the average full-time university staff piano technician salary.  And in
areas where the cost of living is lower too!  Truck drivers make more than
we do.

Ron Torrella wrote:
>while holding down three jobs (Univ. tech, private practice, and father of
>two)

What I'm finding is that schools are expecting us to work outside in
addition to our full-time responsibilities, not merely "allowing" it.  With
the type of skills we possess, this just shouldn't be necessary,
particularly when we have college degrees as well.  Everyone wants us to be
more and more educated and yet pays us less and less while the cost of
living soars.

I look up and down my street and see my peers with similar educational
backgrounds in various fields and much less on the job experience earning
an average of a minimum of two times our salaries.  What can we do to
change this?

Oh, by the way, performance-wise, I was an award-winning voice person in
college as a business major and the son of a piano teacher.  But I only
took piano for a couple of years in Jr. High school, and my piano teacher
doubled as my algebra tutor.  I've progressed on my own at the piano since
then but please don't ask me to present a piano recital -- much less as a
prerequesite for my employment.  All I'm interested in is providing the
best life I can for my family while doing something I enjoy.  They are what
matter to me.  If I can't provide that living for them, then I'll have to
find something else to do.

Sorry.  I hadn't vented in a while and just yesterday learned of a probable
12-13.5% cut to our higher education budget in this state (which translates
into "if you have a job next year, you won't get a raise"), while our
rising natural gas and electric bills, gasoline prices, grocery bills, and
property taxes are going to run us in the ground.

Jeff Tanner, Piano Technician
School of Music
University of South Carolina
Columbia, SC 29208