Concert

Ron Torrella rontorrella@yahoo.com
Thu Apr 26 06:33 MDT 2001

Richard Moody wrote:

> Congratulations Ron,
>     May I ask what do you get out of this?
> Are you doing this for a degree or a course requirement?

Nothing more than the personal satisfaction of having achieved
something--learning enough music to present a full recital (actually, several,
but you can only do one at a time!) while holding down three jobs (Univ. tech,
private practice, and father of two)--isn't easy. But I figured out that, since
I'm sitting at the piano 8 hours a day, I may as well use the time I'm listening
to the piano to learn a few bars, here and there. 10-15 minute "breaks" became
"concentrated learning sessions" over the last 3-4 years.

I can play whole pieces when I finish tuning pianos for my private clientele
who, invariably, appreciate the opportunity to sit and listen to someone else
play their instrument. The bonus, for me, is that I get to play on generally
well maintained, freshly tuned and regulated pianos!

>     Actually I think all university techs, or "head" tech aspirants at
> least should be required to give a recital.  (I have yet to see that
> on a job opening notice)  What better assurance that the institution's
> pianos are  best cared for if the technician can give a recital.  The
> "RPT desirable" is an attempt (for level of quality) but without a
> playing requirement....well I better not rock the boat.....too much.

I think that there are very few technicians who are competent enough, as
pianists, to aspire to giving a recital. Before I became a technician, I was a
pianist--I hold a Bachelor's Degree in performance from the Univ. of Cincinnati
College-Conservatory of Music. My initial goal, in life, was to become a concert
pianist but reality caught up with me while I was an undergrad and I decided to
make a career as a technician, with an eye towards continuing to perform, albeit
not professionally. I've discovered an amazing amount of opportunities to do
just that.

>     Another reason for this post is that I am replying to a post that
> when opened showed a picture of a grand piano.  There was no
> indication on the email in my box this would happen as there was no
> sign of an attachment.  Of course I don't object to this picture, but
> I would like to know something other than text will be opened when I
> click on an email.    Also I am wondering if responding to this type
> of email and sending it back through the list sever, will the picture
> of the grand piano appear. ??    If it does I didn't plan it to.   It
> might be that some get it and others don't,  like those who use MS
> Outlook Express which I use.   Also since there was no attachment but
> a picture was included, I would like to know how to do this.
> Thanks    ---ric

The picture was a jpg attachment -- and I forgot that the list doesn't accept
attachments like that (or does it?). My apologies.

--
Ron Torrella

Program:
Sonata in C major, KV 330 W. A. Mozart; Four Impromptus, D. 899 (Op. 90) F.
Schubert;
Sonata No. 8 in C minor, Op. 13 (Pathétique) L. van Beethoven; Sonata No. 14 in
C sharp minor,
Op. 27 No. 2 (Moonlight) L. van Beethoven