removal of lacquer/keytop

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat Apr 21 10:15 MDT 2001

>Roger,
>
>This thought seems to confirm my thought that "deep needling" in the
>shoulder does not really mean all the way done to the molding, just the top
>third to half of the felt.  Would you agree?
>
>Rob Edwardsen

Hi Rob,
             Gut feel only, I would agree. Anything beyond 1/2" depth does
not seem to have an effect.
As a general rule I think the top 1/4" of the shoulder needs to have some
flex, but also needs to be well supported from below.
Unfortunately, I'm just guessing at what is going on inside the hammer.
The wet needling is very effective, I think what is happening, is the
hardener is plastic, and allows the felt to move considerably before it
resets.   I have noted that I can feel the flex when wet, but after the
hammers are dried, the flex disappears.
Has any one else out there tried this?
The wet needler, stepping out of the closet. Hell! I was in the closet for
10yrs with steam, being a little more daring this time. <G>
Regards Roger