"New" Hamburg Hammers

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat Apr 14 23:45 MDT 2001

Hi Don,
            I was in Cincinnati last fall for the Ohio state convention,
Lawrence Becker hosted a group of CAUT participant's to share  ideas.
His two prize D's One about a year old, the other a 1929 rebuild with full
Stanwood treatment and very high strike weight. Wapin bridge, and Renner
hammers.
Both pianos sounded wonderful,  Obviously Lawrence showing off a little.
<G>.  Would'nt we all in front of our peers?  Beautiful work.
We had a grad student play the same pieces on the two D's and a Bossy.
(Also ran)
Interesting results.  Most of use preferred the tonal pallet and range of
the the old rebuilt D,  from out in the hall.  My immediate comment to
Lawrence, not knowing which was which, " That is not steinway hammers". He
just smiled before telling us of the changes.
Talking to the Grad student, however, she much preferred the New D. Several
in the group played both pianos, and some changed their minds, once they
sat at the instruments and got connected.
A very worth while exercise, and very illuminating about the human
connection of tone and touch.
I hope Lawrence is reading this and will expand on his observations.  But
you should exchange notes with him,  we could all benifit from the dialogue.
For my money the German hammers had a greater tonal pallet, with that clear
singing translucent French romantic sound at ppp, so elusive with juiced
hammers. Not sure if I'm describing the tone that well.
Please keep us informed of the chapter results.
Regards roger