Steinway brass logo

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Tue Apr 10 16:13 MDT 2001

Well, I guess I'll assume it was applied on a base coat, then sprayed
over and sanded to "reveal," like most of these thangs. Howsomever, the
sander person probably got carried away over the logo, and sanded a
little too far. It feels like the logo is higher than the finish
everywhere, not just top and bottom where it is curling away.
	The gummy substance makes me think cyano probably would just be a
temporary fix - contaminated surfaces. Every time I have tried cyano on
similar brass thangs before, I have had less than absolute success.
Maybe it would stay "better," but usually would still tick up a bit.
Here on the side of the piano, one person brushing against a little
stick up will pull it and bend it beyond gluing. And there are going to
be plenty of people brushing against it.
	Probably the only real solution is rip it off, sand smooth, put a new
one on, spray the area until enough lacquer is built up to cover, then
sand again to reveal. Question now is, do I want to go to that trouble
myself, or go to the even more trouble of dealing with the dealer,
trying to schedule times in the hall, babysitting, etc. Maybe I could
throw it in the hall manager's lap. ;) Better yet, the department
administrator's. She needs something to do.
Thanks for the responses,
Fred