Steinway brass logo

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Tue Apr 10 14:17 MDT 2001

At 01:59 PM 04/10/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>We just got a brand new Steinway D a couple weeks ago, and it has the
>now-standard logo and large "Steinway & Sons" in brass on the side
>toward the audience. The logo has started to curl away from the finish.
>Examining it, it appears to be brass foil with a gummy back, simply
>pressed onto the finished surface (in contrast to the letters, and the
>logo and letters on the fall, which seem to have had finish applied
>after they were placed, so that the finish more or less fills in around
>the edges, helping to hold them in place).
>         First question: Am I right about what I am dealing with (ie,
>gummy-backed foil, applied to finished surface)?
>         Second question: Is there any way such a logo is going to stay on
> more
>than a month or so in an active university environment? Is there
>something I can do to make it stick permanently? Or should I just tear
>the darned thing off, wool wax (or sand with 400/600 if need be) where
>it was and forget it?
>
>Fred Sturm
>University of New Mexico

It is applied prior to the topcoats, then through sanding it is reveled.
You could try super glue to get it stuck back in place (watch for drips).
You could also remove it and fill the area with lacquer and an artist's brush,
then sand smooth to blend. Being new, it is a warranty problem.

Let the dealer mess with it.

Jon Page