Steinway parts vs. Renner argument

Robert Grijalva pianoman@umich.edu
Fri Sep 22 09:02 MDT 2000

I've got to reply to this one, and please forgive me if I sound like a
factory rep, which I am not!

For your information, N.Y. Steinway doesn't contract out parts to the
lowest bidder.  That's just a silly rumor.  New York makes all their own
action parts. They are currently referred to as "NY Improved" in the
parts catalog.  Shanks and flanges are Part # 006617 and Repetitions are
Part # 006689.  Hammers are made in NY as well at the factory.  There are
different part numbers based on model.  In truth, the NY factory has an
entire floor dedicated to the manufacture and assembly of action parts.

With respect to Hamburg pianos, the action parts (shanks, flanges, and
repetitions) are indeed manufactured for Hamburg by Renner, and only
Renner, as far back as even before WW II.  However, they have had their
hammers manufactured by various suppliers, Abel and Renner among them.

If you wish to use Renner-made, it is possible to order Hamburg parts
from Steinway NY.  Shanks and flanges are Part #006260.  Repetitions are
Part # 006240.  Hamburg hammers are also available under various models
and part numbers.  It may be semantics or marketing, but these are
still considered "Genuine Steinway parts" as no one else uses this design.

You should contact Glorie Lefrak for availability.
Recently, there have been supply problems from Renner for action parts and
Steinway has been expecting a shipment of parts since June, which have not
materialized.  Her e-mail is: <glefrak@steinway.com>

Within the small circle of rebuilders with whom the University of Michigan
works, including the Steinway dealer in the Detroit region, the favored
combination is Renner-made Hamburg Steinway shanks and repetitions in
combination with NY Hammers.  The 17mm knuckle distance on the Hamburg
shanks is ideal for the weight of the NY hammers as currently
manufactured.

For more info on Steinway parts and make-up, perhaps a well-placed call to
Steinway customer service will help you with any other info you care to
have.  Call 1-800-223-6017 and ask to speak with John Patton or Gary
Green, or Mike Mohr.  They can give you the lowdown.

Also, check out the Steinway Technical Reference Guide, which is available
from Glorie.  It has all the action diagrams to scale of all the parts you
have questions about:  shanks and reps of all varieties available:
Pre-'84 NY and Hamburg, '84-'92 NY, NY Improved, as well as current
Hamburg.

One last thing (and this is just my opinion, so I won't feel bad if you
con't agree): dump the Abels, use NY hammers only and don't spare the
juice!  A Steinway is a Steinway is a Steinway.  Long live Steinway!

Robert Grijalva
Asst. Professor and Director, Piano Technology
School of Music
Phone: 734-764-6207
e-mail: pianoman@umich.edu