covers

John Minor jminor@uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 18 11:14 MDT 2000

Richard: I would not suggest using covers on pianos that are not
controlled by staff, ie. Pianos that are put away, or kept locked when not
in use. The covers from Oregon run about $450 and are the best, but if
people don't keep them on they won't do much good. Choose your battles....

I've not tried string covers. Maybe I should. I still struggle to keep the
temp under control and have gone to the administration with read-outs from
the hygrothermograph to illustrate the wide swings in temp/humidity. They
do seem to take note of the graphics. I've just ordered the digital temp
monitoring deviceds described here last month. We'll see what kind of
results we can get with these.

John Minor
University of Illinois

PS. I'm surprised they were able to hire you as ACADEMIC/PROFESSIONAL.
There is a civil service position in the state of Illinois for piano tech.
My predecessors attempted to change the position here to AC/PRO with no
luck.