Turbo whipping....oooh I like the sound of that!

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Thu Sep 14 09:58 MDT 2000

Mark writes:
<< BTW, this is perhaps a "text-book" perfect example of what these wippens
are

intended for.  The piano is a 1963 "B", definitive of the "accelerated

action" paradigm of the day.  ie: well into the tenor there are (typically)

"SIX" factory installed, full-sized leads in each key, with the furthest

being placed very close to the balance rail. >>

Greetings,
     Gee, this seems to disparage the accelerated action, which I feel is
unfair.  The trashed actions of the 60's were bad,  but it was not due to the
acceleration.
     The original accelerated patent covered two requirements; the use of the
half-round fulcrum and the placement of lead as close to the balance rail as
possible.  The nicest ones I have seen were in the late 30's, where geometry
was right on target.
  Beginning in the 60's with outsourced keybeds and keys, the entire action
consistancy of the Steinways went out the window.  This was the most erratic
period of action building I have seen from the factory.  The 70's and early
80's weren't much of an improvement, but for the last 20 years, the New York
actions have been steadily improving in their layout.  I do notice some
shortcomings in the execution, though.
    The turbo whips allow the balance between inertia and mass to be moved
around.  After a complete analysis of the action yields some optimum
regulation, you can use either less lead with more spring or vice versa.
There is an optimum point for this relationship all actions and I think the
springs help nail it down.
     Same for the Teflon action spring screws.  They out perform the
traditional graphited grub on all counts. No maintenance needs,  ease of fine
regulation changes, and the most wonderful of all,  the longevity of the
spring adjustment. I have actions that are still where I put them two years
ago.  This allows a softer spring, since the need for margin of error
shrinks.  But I digress.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT