Practice Rooms

Joel Jones jajones2@facstaff.wisc.edu
Thu Sep 14 07:51 MDT 2000

on 9/13/00 3:26 PM, John Minor at jminor@uiuc.edu wrote:

> I took to knocking on the practice door, telling them I was the piano tech
> and asking to see their student ID. As I began writing down their name I
> would tell them they were violating the "no food, no drinks" policy and
> that if I caught them again I would have their practice room privileges
> revoked. It seemed to work with the 21 new Steinway M's.
>
> This does not keep the drinks out of the rooms, but rather off the pianos,
> which is fine with me.
>
> John Minor
> University of Illinois

John & list
Our facilities manager also does  'Rambo Runs' and we have been fairly
successful in lowering the diva waters and lunch mess to the floor.  Our
favorite is an older student who sits his coffee cup outside the practice
room door.
    Our homemade string covers also help keep out food crumbs and spills
that happen mysteriously.   These covers have cut down my emergency removal
of room keys and engagement rings from the action cavity.   However, I found
a dime yesterday not retrieved - I don't need a raise , finders keepers?
    The dream continues....
-- Joel A. Jones
Senior Piano Technician
1501 Humanities Building