Turbo whipping....oooh I like the sound of that!

markbolsius@optusnet.com.au markbolsius@optusnet.com.au
Thu Sep 14 05:04 MDT 2000

G'day Mark et al,

How did you know I'd bite?!

I was speaking to Renner in Stuttgart just a while ago, they claim not to require adjustment, but in the same breath said it varies according to the tech. The guy I spoke to said he'd prefer to start with a better wippen heel/capstan relationship and key ratio, but that's no help to you given that you already have the wippens.

Tension has to be adjusted on a spring at the coil, as has already been pointed out.

How much adjustment will depend on the touchweight problem you have. How many grams are you trying to get rid of? If it's heaps, I'd do as Jon suggested and start with setting the spring to support the wippen's weight and then back it off until you get the touchweight numbers you need/want.

David Stanwood may a few ideas about specific methods of adjustment...sorry I can't help, I haven't dealt with them that often...our Steinways  (Hamburg) are much more consistent in their action geometry ;-)

I look forward to seeing what others have to say.Sorry I didn't respond earlier...I had a day's work to do before I checked my email!

Cheers
Mark Bolsius
Bolsius Piano Services
Canberra Australia