help now, SVP

Mark Cramer cramer@BrandonU.CA
Tue Sep 12 18:49 MDT 2000

Dear list,
I've just received a second set of shanks/flanges from my favourite parts
supplier, for a D that should have been on stage two weeks ago.  The first
set was too loose, and returned.  The second set  is worse.

I am reluctant to re-pin a brand new set of shanks (all!), and turn them
immediatley into a "used" set.  I had just given the original (1988) S&S
their "last" pinning (2 years ago), carefully balancing friction within a
gram, section to section.  I loathe having to take one "pinning" out of the
"performance" life of this set, "right out of the box!"

Replacement flanges for other instruments (including S&S) have been just
fine (sortable for even friction).  Was I spoiled, or should I expect
quality parts from a quality supplier?

FYI, the tightest flange of this set swings 10-11 times with replacement
hammer #01, and 19-20 times with hammer #65!

I have a performance piano to put back in service, any advice?

much thanks,
Mark Cramer, RPT
Brandon University