Off campus work

Mark Cramer cramer@BrandonU.CA
Wed Sep 6 13:42 MDT 2000

Paul,
you are saying you tune these pianos on behalf of your institution, denying
you additional (private)revenue?

I bill BU by the hour,I am not salaried staff. Our (my) policy is that BU
pays for tunings when we have a recital at someone else's venue.  I add this
to my regular invoice, which is paid out of my (piano service) budget.

As these churches etc. require other tunings throughout the year, I bill
them directly.  The U-recital tunings would've happened anyhow, whether
here, there or wherever.  In some cases, I've gained the outside venue
account through providing a U-recital tuning.

A big plus is that I may choose whether to provide tunings here at BU (for
outside groups using
our facility) out of my budget, or bill the parties directly.

Internal interests such as a University fund-raising banquet, etc. are
appropriately funded from my budget.

Outside organizations however (music festivals, examinations, private
competitions, etc.), account for up to a months worth of additional
(personal) revenue per year, as well as helping stretch our
(half-time)service budget.

I would not want to be without this arrangement.

Mark Cramer
Brandon University