"Kawai-me-a-Wivah!"

Jim Harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Fri Sep 1 19:49 MDT 2000

Thanks for remembering the spring swap trick. To clarify, the swap was =
-not- for helping squeaks. Rather, the USTx sometimes generated =
complaints about the damper pedal offering too much resistance -- =
usually from either very young or very old players. It just happens that =
the grand style damper pedal springs are interchangeable with the UST in =
height and diameter, just not as stiff.

As a possible bonus, the grand damper pedal spring coils are woven up =
one side with braiding. Perhaps that could help somewhat on squeaks, =
even though that wasn't the original purpose for swapping the springs.

Many institutions that have Kawai verticals will also have at least a =
token Kawai grand. If so, it's easy enough to swap springs from in-house =
units and test the results. I've had the experience that some of the =
grand users will also enjoy -more- resistance on the pedal, so it =
becomes a double fix.

As to bottom boards being loose, I'm surprised that more people haven't =
discovered carpenters (cabinet) wedges. They're cheap and fast, and =
don't influence any future, more professional repairs with tilt trucks, =
tightening/adding screws or whatever. Just drive one or more between the =
pedal rail and the bottom board, and break off the remaining wedge. Its =
an invisible, fast, and effective repair.=20

Jim Harvey, RPT
[looking over incoming phone messages and PO's for the SS (September =
Squeeze)]