A-440 Policy?

Mitch Staples staples.13@osu.edu
Tue Oct 31 13:31 MST 2000

At 10:04 PM 10/30/00 -0600, you wrote:

>.  I would push for a policy of A-440 only, accept we have a Taiwanese
>> percussion student with a marimba tuned at A-442.
>>
>> Mitch
>
>And I thought the 442 marimba was so tuned  because it sounded better with
>the piano with sharp partials

Richard,

I was not aware of this practice of tuning an instrument to a higher pitch
so it will sound better with a piano.  This particular instrument was built
to be played in an ensemble tuned at A-442.  Do you think there are other
instruments that are made to be tuned at A-442 but played with instruments
tuned at A-440?

Mitch