A-440 Policy?

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Mon Oct 30 22:28 MST 2000

.  I would push for a policy of A-440 only we have a Taiwanese
> percussion student with a marimba tuned at A-442.
>
> Mitch

And I thought the 442 marimba was so tuned  because it sounded better with
the piano with sharp partials  (at A440 of course)   I think its high time
to get a list from a number of tuners of reasons why NOT the piano should be
tuned up and down.  This is not to say we won't tune to higher pitches but
to give a rational base for our advocasy of "finalizing" concert pitch at
A440.   Then compare these with the reasons the "finest ensembles" give for
wanting 442--443--445.  If those groups listen to us, we would certainly
listen to them.  I think it would be an education experience for all.

Example for NOT raising pitch......
Mitch wrote: We have a policy that I must be given two weeks advanced notice
for a nonstandard tuning.

Good idea for two reasons, We all agree it takes more of the tuner's time,
so the need for extra tuning time to be scheduled, and if the "finest
ensembles" desire the finest tunings then shouldn't the instrument be
allowed to stabilize  at the desired pitch for at least 2 days? I know of no
piano that won't drift over 24 hrs even after raised only 1cps.

On the tuning stability issue let me add "setting the pins."   Anyone can
use an ETD to raise the pitch and save a little time.  But I know of no
short cuts in saving time when setting the pins.  --ric