A proposal for more staff - too long

Rick Florence Rick.Florence@ASU.Edu
Mon Oct 30 10:01 MST 2000

List,

Although I do enjoy my job here at ASU, and appreciate the public vote of
confidence offered by Brent, I would like to state for the record that one
can never have too much vacation time!

Rick - I'd rather be at the lake - Florence

on 10/29/00 9:58 AM, Brent.Fischer@asu.edu at Brent.Fischer@asu.edu wrote:

> Dear List:
>
> Just a quick note on the situation at Arizona State University in
> Tempe. We are staffed , budgeted, and reasonably paid. Excellent
> benefits, more vacation time than we can use and the national holidays
> are just starting to kick in. Dr. Wanye Bailey totally supports all
> maintenance requests that help facilitate his mission to make this school
> reach the top five list of public schools in the U.S. The environment
> and culture built by a strong administrator is probably the key in
> making the faculty and staff enthusiastic about working together
> to achieve his or her goals. The facility, the national reputation of the
> ASU faculty, the economic growth of the region, the perfect winter
> weather, all go hand in hand to raise the level of expectation of
> of each support unit, those expectations cannot be reached unless they
> are funded at a comparable level, simple as that, and they know it.
>
> Rick Florence and Brent Fischer are "Monster Technicians" and if perhaps
> qualification of such a balantly egotistical statement would be helpful for
> any official documentation, those of you interested are more than welcome
> to write or call Mr. Jim Coleman of Tempe, or more accurately, Dr.Coleman.
> Equally important here is that if the senior technician crashed and
> burned on his moutain bike the second tech in charge here, Mr. Florence
> would be able to take the reins with the full confidence of the faculty
> and carry on. I operate mostly with a shared goverance mindset so we can
> share our different points of view without threat, the synergetic approach.
>
> Facts that they maybe useful for comparisons:
>
> 1. School of Music enrollment, about 750, 65 faculty, and 24 staff
> 2. tech 1 salary about  $44,000.00
> 3. tech 11 salary about $ 41,000.00
> 4. student worker budget, based on work study $1500. really means $3500.
> 5. live inventory about 170 instruments
> a. 34 Steinway grand  (4 years old)
> b. another dozen or so older Steinways
> c. eight Mason grands nine years old
> d. about 23 U1 uprights and a few older ones
> e. assorted older Kawai uprights
> f. loan program with Kawai and Baldwin/ eleven GE 1 grands
> Baldwin uprights/  about 34 total loaned pianos
> 6. budget: only $5000 per year but have been funded well above that
> with one-time funds thru the nine years I have been here
> 7. staff development: good travel support to conventions, etc.
> 8. work schedules: flexible
> 9. job satisfaction:  excellent

> Brent Fischer
> Senior Piano Technician
> Arizona State University

Rick Florence
Piano Technician
Arizona State University, School of Music