A proposal for more staff - too long

Brent.Fischer@ASU.Edu Brent.Fischer@ASU.Edu
Sun Oct 29 10:18 MST 2000

Dear List:

  Just a quick note on the situation at Arizona State University in
Tempe. We are staffed , budgeted, and reasonably paid. Excellent
benefits, more vacation time than we can use and the national holidays
are just starting to kick in. Dr. Wanye Bailey totally supports all
maintenance requests that help facilitate his mission to make this school
reach the top five list of public schools in the U.S. The environment
and culture built by a strong administrator is probably the key in
making the faculty and staff enthusiastic about working together
to achieve his or her goals. The facility, the national reputation of the
ASU faculty, the economic growth of the region, the perfect winter
weather, all go hand in hand to raise the level of expectation of
of each support unit, those expectations cannot be reached unless they
are funded at a comparable level, simple as that, and they know it.

  Rick Florence and Brent Fischer are "Monster Technicians" and if perhaps
qualification of such a balantly egotistical statement would be helpful for
any official documentation, those of you interested are more than welcome
to write or call Mr. Jim Coleman of Tempe, or more accurately, Dr.Coleman.
Equally important here is that if the senior technician crashed and
burned on his moutain bike the second tech in charge here, Mr. Florence
would be able to take the reins with the full confidence of the faculty
and carry on. I operate mostly with a shared goverance mindset so we can
share our different points of view without threat, the synergetic approach.

Facts that they maybe useful for comparisons:

1. School of Music enrollment, about 750, 65 faculty, and 24 staff
2. tech 1 salary about  $44,000.00
3. tech 11 salary about $ 41,000.00
4. student worker budget, based on work study $1500. really means $3500.
5. live inventory about 170 instruments
      a. 34 Steinway grand  (4 years old)
      b. another dozen or so older Steinways
      c. eight Mason grands nine years old
      d. about 23 U1 uprights and a few older ones
      e. assorted older Kawai uprights
      f. loan program with Kawai and Baldwin/ eleven GE 1 grands
         Baldwin uprights/  about 34 total loaned pianos
6. budget: only $5000 per year but have been funded well above that
           with one-time funds thru the nine years I have been here
7. staff development: good travel support to conventions, etc.
8. work schedules: flexible
9. job satisfaction:  excellent

Brent Fischer
Senior Piano Technician