A-440 Policy?

Charles K. Ball ckball@mail.utexas.edu
Fri Oct 27 08:41 MDT 2000

Dear Avery & Others,

I thoroughly agree with your frustrations with ensembles that
contractually require tuning the piano to pitch levels other than
A=440; however, that being said, many of the finest ensembles in the
world do tune to a higher level.  Some European orchestras routinely
tune to A=443 or 444.  This is so routine, that I have a hunch that
you are going to find little collaborative evidence that it is
fundamentally harmful to the piano.  If you dig in your heels, get
angry, and refuse to comply, you will only make yourself more
unhappy.  The truth is that if you really want to do high level
concert work, this goes with the territory.  The most rational
strategy is one that finds a way to meet the contractual requirements
with the least resistance and effort, and also finds ways to
compensate you or your employer for the extra effort and the wear and
tear on the pianos.

These ensembles are not going to change because we disapprove; and if
you become stubborn and force them to use another instrument, a
rental for instance, you may lose the opportunity to do concert prep
for top ensembles and the artists who perform with them.

Two points to ponder:  All professionals have to do routine tasks
that are not really fun or satisfying, and, I believe, many of the
most successful professionals are those who give a high priority to
"customer service" (even when, or perhaps especially when, we think
the customer is unreasonable or a jerk).

Regards,

Charles

Charles Ball, RPT
School of Music