A-440 Policy?

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Fri Oct 27 06:58 MDT 2000

Joel,

   It IS an official policy as of after this "shindig" is over!

>Bravo !  Make A-440 an OFFICIAL Policy.

   We have a Steinway dealer here who has a fleet of 2-3 C & A
'D's available for rental and they tune to them to A-442 regularly
when they send one to the Symphony for a Steinway artist, so
another piano would not be hard to get.

>I like the idea of having the group
>bring in their own piano for A-442 .  My experience is that it takes more
>than one tuning to stabilize after the raise.  It took about 2 months of
>concert tunings before I felt secure with the stability.

   I definitely agree with that! In their defense, the symphony
manager did admit that it was their screw-up. Our hall manager has
already told them that from now on, our instruments will not be tuned
to other than A-440. He said he understood, so I guess with all their
traveling, they're used to that 'problem'. :-)

>    Keep that director.  Support like that is hard to find.  Guess you'll
>read the contract closer next time.   Contract?  I find our contracts are
>somewhat  vague in our rentals, but so far nothing like what you describe
>has happened with out prior notice.
>    We have a concert manager who does the rental contracts.  He screens the
>set-up and equipment needs.  If something like A-442 would drop on us, his
>seat would be hot.

   Thanks for the post.

Avery