A-440 Policy?

Charles K. Ball ckball@mail.utexas.edu
Thu Oct 26 12:18 MDT 2000

Avery,

You are indeed fortunate to have such administrative support, and I
believe that you are right to make the management of the symphony
realize that there is a cost involved in such demands.

The difficulty comes when the school enters into a contractual
agreement with an ensemble that makes the pitch requirement a part of
the contract.  Once the presenters have signed the contract, you have
few viable options but to comply, although, you are certainly
entitled to be compensated for your time and effort.

Charles

>List,
>
>   Just thought I'd vent a little. I worked off-campus all day
>yesterday and didn't check my messages until around 6 PM. The
>Houston Symphony is here for 3 days beginning today (at _their_
>request, not ours) for an all-Copeland concert Saturday night
>and we were not "informed" until 4:45 yesterday afternoon that
>they wanted the piano at A-442. You'll notice I said informed,
>not asked! As in "permission".
>   Needless to say, my hackles are STILL up. I had to get here
>about 6 AM this morning to do the pitch raise job for them
>because we were informed so late, that I had no chance to fight
>it. When that alarm went off at 4:30 AM, well, let's just say
>that you'd rather not hear my "thoughts" about why.
>   I just had a talk with the Director of the School of Music
>and he's in total agreement with me. After this concert is over,
>the OFFICIAL policy is that our performance halls are A-440 halls
>and if any other pitch is desired, the organization will bring
>their own instrument(s). I'll tune it to whatever is desired, if
>they want, but _our_ 4 instruments are to stay at A-440!
>   The director also told me that the symphony is to be billed
>for a pitch raise job and a pitch lowering job.
>   It's wonderful working at a school that gives me this kind of
>support and backing!
>   Just curious. Does anyone else have that kind of official
>policy at your school?
>
>Avery

Charles Ball, RPT
School of Music