A proposal for more staff

David M. Porritt dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu
Mon Oct 23 12:19 MDT 2000

Jeff, Bob et al:

You don't want to know what I'm doing here as it would just document the "keeping down with the Joneses" theory of maintenance.  I think Oberlin has done pretty well, Humbolt State I understand has a better situation, University of Texas is better off than many, and there are bound to be others.  I don't know how we fight this "good enough" mentality.  From my observation students come for a particular teacher.  The ones that are here studying with our artist-in-residence would study with him if they had to practice on Lester spinets.  I have thought all along that unless the piano faculty make an issue of the instruments it just won't happen.  Of course piano faculty pianos are a high priority for us so they don't make an issue of it.  They generally don't play practice room instruments.  If they did, they might help us campaign for more budget.

An enigma.

dave

David M. Porritt
dporritt@swbell.net