Yamaha voicing

dforman dforman@rider.edu
Wed Oct 18 04:42 MDT 2000

List,
We had a Yamaha C&A technician here at WCC the past two days voicing and
regulation a CFIII we have. The offical Yamaha position (from him) is not to
steam voice Yamaha hammers. He filed and shaped the hammers, then needled
close, but not at, the crown. Mostly shallow needling is all that is needed
there. Also,you might have to  deep needle the shoulders at 10-11 o'clock ten
to fifteen times to round out the sound. Try one to see if it makes a
difference.  I voiced a section with him watching, and this way worked very
well, and was farily easy. Just make sure the hammers are well shaped. Use
60-80 grit garnet paper ( I think that's what it's called). Do not shoeshine
the hammer crown with fine paper-that will contribute to a bright sound. Check
the voicing string by string, and make sure the pinning is not too loose.
These are the procedures used on our CFIII, and it made a big difference in
the sound.
Dave Forman
Westminster Choir College