Yamaha C3 voicing

Jeff Stickney jpage@selway.umt.edu
Tue Oct 17 19:46 MDT 2000

Dear list,
	We have a 2-year-old Yamaha C3 in a faculty studio that is quite
bright.  I haven't taken the leap into steam voicing yet, and so, in the
spirit of Jeannie Grassi's recent editorial comments on Mastery I'm leaning
on the the experience of you all before I jump in.  In order to do a
wholesale voicing of this piano do you 1) Get the coffee pot and steam one
hammer at a time in the spout 2) Use the damp cloth and hammer iron on the
shoulders or other parts of the hammer 3) Do any of you use needles when
faced with this style of piano/hammer ( I do like using a single needle
tool to even things out, but not necessarily for this wholesale situation)
4) Is the unofficial Yamaha technique of using pliers on the shoulders
going to produce similar results to steaming or is the outcome different -
tonally, stability-wise, etc.  Thanks for your ideas.
Jeff Stickney, RPT
University of Montana
jpage@selway.umt.edu