Emergency Repairs

David M. Porritt dporritt@swbell.net
Sat Oct 14 16:28 MDT 2000

Avery:

We have our concerto competition coming up on the 26th.  It will run from
6:00PM to 11:00PM.  I'll not be there!  Do your people break hammer shanks
often?  We seem to go through strings in a hurry, but I can't remember a
broken shank.  About all of our pianos have Renner (hornbeam) shanks and
maybe that is why, I don't know.

I do wonder about broken strings, but I haven't even thought of shanks.

By the way, our Piano Department chair is scheduling the concertos in
chronological order.  Mozart first, working up to Prokofieff etc.  Last
year one of the hardest hitters played first doing the Tschaikowsky 1st
concerto and the piano was out of tune for the rest of the night.  He won
the competition, but he is a 3 or 4 string a week player.

Good luck.

dave

On 10/14/00 at 10:13 AM Avery Todd wrote:

>Hey, I just had another thought. It seems
>like I vaguely remember from the past
>sometime, some discussion about using
>heat shrink tubing this same way. It
>seems like that might be even faster.