Emergency Repairs

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Sat Oct 14 09:55 MDT 2000

Not as strong as a drinking straw.  The rubber is too flexible.  I was
trying to think of a faster temporary repair but couldn't.  One problem is
most shanks aren't round.  A repaired shank isn't going to be as solid as a
new one and the tone will be impaired somewhat.  I'd have, like you said,
exact replacement (you won't have time to do much regulation) shanks/flanges
in my supplies.  How long to change a shank/flange?  I bet you could do it
in five minutes.  Pulling the hammer is no problem, travel new shank, trim
excess shank, hang using thick CA glue...that might be scary?  A perfectly
trimmed shank wouldn't be necessary for an emergency.  The glue setting
would be the only thing to work out.

David I.