(no subject)

Scott E. Thile scott.thile@murraystate.edu
Fri Oct 13 13:06 MDT 2000

Hi Mary,

As Fred mentions, the programs vary and are negotiable.

We had a loan program here at MSU with Yamaha for several years that worked
out pretty well.   We never had any out of pocket expenses on our
arrangement with the Yamaha dealer.  I work for a different school that had
a deal with Baldwin pianos for a while where they paid for the moving
expenses as well as part of the financing charges. The major drawback for
me on these deals was always the sale.  In our case (and most I am aware
of) the dealer brought in a lot of low end stuff to sell along with the
pianos on loan to us.  Some buyers were more or less allowed to believe
that ALL the pianos offered at the sale were from university inventory, or
part of the loan program. I felt like this made us look kind of bad, but no
one else seemed to mind it much.  Our upper administration finally killed
our deal for reasons known only to them.

There is a fair amount of information on this subject in an old CAUT
Newsletter from 1997 of which I was the editor, and it is available on-line
on the CAUT pages.

Here is a link direct to the '97 issue:
http://www.mursuky.edu/caut.php/newsletter/2_97/newsindex.htm

Link to the Newsletter area: