Question

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Tue Oct 3 06:21 MDT 2000

Hi David,
     I wrote what I do below.

David Ilvedson wrote:

> That is the trick isn't it.  How to get a piano to project without breaking
> up in FFF?  Do we just say this is the piano's sound and take or leave it,
> or do you do something?  If so what

    I don't mean do nothing! except if it can't be better.  First analyze!,
think!  experiment on one note!, take a break! think and listen some more!
Possibilities include deep needling shoulders, mate strings to hammers, check
hammer travel, all regulation including key frame bedding, check pinning,   I
assume by "breaking up" you mean the tone is not holding together at fff.  If
you mean it gets harsh, deep needling into strike point, everything slowly,
thoughtfully.
      Hammers and regulation are not the source of every problem, could be the
soundboard, acoustics, and/or a pianists touch, or a combination.  No mechanic
can keep a race car driver from pushing too hard and smashing into the wall.

>  You have a new piano, it is played
> for a season and during that time what typically are you doing to maintain
> the voice?  Where will you be needling or whatever?

Keep it locked;  Control humidity;  Any of the above and more as needed,   No
two sets of hammers respond exactly alike, whatever works.

> How will you decide when to put on
> a new set of hammers during the life of that instrument?

1. When the sound is bad (thin and raspy usually) and no known voicing
technique cures,
2. When the string grooves are long such that filing would cause regulation and
tone problems, (too small, to light , or too hard of hammer).
3.  Sound Rules!  Never replace bad looking hammers that sound and feel great.

We ought to keep this to one type of hammer, say NY Steinway.  The magnitude of
the questions just too great.
-mike