Question

David M. Porritt dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu
Mon Oct 2 08:24 MDT 2000

I read the review, and my best guess (and since I didn't hear the recital it's only a guess) is that the piano was fine and got pounded a lot.  The reviewer statement:  "And so long as the music remained subdued or lyrical, Kissin's effortless command of tone and voicing was nothing short of astonishing. The hushed, velvety sound he elicits from the instrument beguiles the ear while revealing inner lines with startling clarity."  leads me to believe that the piano was capable of being played softly.  To me the classic "overlacquered" piano is incapable of ppp playing and subtle shadings of tone.   Perhaps the hammers were too soft and the banging was his frustrated attempt to get a fff.

I look forward to reading your response to the reviewer.

dave

David M. Porritt
dporritt@swbell.net
Meadows School of the Arts