Question

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Sun Oct 1 23:31 MDT 2000

The reviewer did love certain areas of the performance but apparently the
piano couldn't handle overdrive?  Voiced for pianissimo only?  I remember
the traditional voicing technique from the Hamburg Factory's head tech
(can't remember his name) insisted on deep needling in the low shoulders for
FF first before working into the softer ranges.

I also am interested your comments...fire away

David I.

>Hi Horace,
                Sounds like a piano with laqueritus.  <G> Would love to
hear your comments.
Roger.

At 08:49 PM 01/10/00 -0700, you wrote:

>Folks,
>
>A question before I waste any of your bandwidth...
>
>Recently, reading a review of a local performance convinced me to write to
>the critic - not about the review per se, but rather about a subject the
>review did not mention - the piano.  Now, understand that in 35 years of
>tuning, I have never done this.
>
>The review may be seen at:
>

>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/09/2
6/DD82230.DTL

>(Sorry if the above "wraps".  If you have trouble, the title of the review
>is "Brahms, Beethoven Take a Pounding : Pianist Kissin's outbursts
>maddening", from the 26.Sept.00 edition of the San Francisco Chronicle.)
>
>Anyway, I wrote to the reviewer, and also published my thoughts privately
>to a few friends.  Several of them suggested that I post the whole thing to
>CAUT, which I am happy to do, but did not want to do so without some
>feedback from the list.  I am mostly concerned with the length of the
>communications - mine is, characteristically, not short....and, I would
>want to include the thoughts of some others, as I think that they are
>careful and thoughtful additions to my own remarks.
>
>The subject is something near and dear to all of our hearts, particularly
>in this space - concert voicing and preparation.
>
>As is everyone else, I am pretty busy with work and stuff, so it would
>probably be next weekend before I could really get my thoughts together
>enough to post.
>
>That's it.  I hope that this finds everyone well and happy, as well as
>thoroughly buried by the new Academic Year.
>
>Best regards to all.
>
>Horace
>
>+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
>Horace Greeley, 			email:	hgreeley@stanford.edu
>CNA, MCP, RPT
>Systems Analyst/Engineer		voice:	650.725.9062
>Controller's Office			fax:	650.725.8014
>Stanford University
>651 Serra St., RM 100, MC 6215
>Stanford, CA 94305-6215