bowing strings

Allen Wright allen.wright@oberlin.edu
Thu May 4 13:58 MDT 2000

Most wise group,

One of our small grands is being used for a dance concert involving some
Zappa pieces and other adventurous things. I noticed today that they are
using a bow on some of the plain wire strings. This seems fine - probably
even a good thing (!), cool sound and all that - but the rosin DOESN'T seem
like such a good thing to me. Seeing as how it's left a residue on the
affected strings (and probably down in the action as well), and a fine resin
dust all over the soundboard, and (oh yea) all those little chunks of resin
on the board. Fortunately, these strings are already rusty. But it seems
like resin could only attract moisture, and dust etc.

Any thoughts on resin and pianos? Is it possible to use a bow without resin?
Probably wouldn't work, right?

I've heard of this method (even heard a recording that used it once), but
this is the first time I've seen it here.

thanks,

Allen Wright
Oberlin