capo lube?

Kenneth P. Eschete k-eschete@nwu.edu
Thu Jun 29 16:20 MDT 2000

Fred,
In making my own inquires about products that inhibit the formation of rust
without causing any intrusive damage, I have gotten advise from the metal
objects conservators at Colonial Williamsburg that has led me to use a
product called CRC.  I obtained it from the local industrial hardware
supply house in 1/2 gallon cans.  Application is easily controlled with a
needle tip bottle, and I have used it to dress capo bars with the strings
still in place.  The advantage of this product is that it forms a coating
on the metal which inhibits the return of rust without doing anything that
is chemically destructive.

Contact me for more details if you can't find it.

Ken Eschete
Northwestern University

At 12:28 PM 6/29/00 -0600, you wrote:
>List,
>	I've just dressed a capo preparatory to restring, and am about to apply
>Prolube to it, with the idea it will ritard rusting/corrosion, cause
>strings to render better, and slow the production of grooves (less
>abrasion). I don't actually know whether Prolube will accomplish this,
>for how long, or whether there might be a better substance for the
>purpose.
>	Any opinions out there? (I mean on this particular topic. I know there
>are plenty of opinions, and that Newton will tell me silicone oil is the
>only way to go - to eternal damnation, that is. ;-)
>
>Fred Sturm
>University of New Mexico

Kenneth P. Eschete
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL.  USA
k-eschete@nwu.edu