Ed Foote on the Box (was NY Times Article)

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Sun Feb 27 17:38 MST 2000

In a message dated 02/24/2000, Ed Foote writes:

>      We can't refine an aural tuning over and over again,  we must start
from
>  new every time, but, if we record our best aural tuning, we can
continually
>  modify it until is exactly like we want.

Almost true, but the target keeps changing. The rabbit jumps halfway to his
hole once more with each refinement, but having achieved a "perfect" tuning
[where I brought my previous tuning in the box and refined it until I
couldn't change anything] on a piano I tune every couple of weeks, I was
puzzled at my dissatisfaction with the results six months later. I wondered
at first if I could perhaps be growing as a tuner, but surely not, having
reached perfection....

It turns out that I really DON'T tune the same piano the same way each time.
The explanation lies in the fact that the FREQUENCIES of the partials change
due to humidity and plain aging (the inharmonicity doesn't measure the same
every time), and the BALANCE of the partials (and even the frequency) changes
with voicing. Different voicing requires a different stretch.

Since I agree completely with your basic feelings toward the Box, Ed, I hate
to niggle; but we refine the box tuning with the ear, and the ear with the
box, a superb tuning results, then the piano we are measuring changes. At the
highest level, there are still some refinements necessary at every tuning.

>        There may be tuners that can do a better job without a machine than
>  with one, but I don't see how.

Or why. I would still stack that stored, refined tuning up against most
strictly aural tunings, my own included, on a time-after-time repeatability
basis.

Bob Davis