NY Times Article

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Thu Feb 24 13:45 MST 2000

Stephen writes:
>For the noun, what was wrong with a direct
>translation of the original German terminology? i.e. "circular" or
>"circulating temperaments", something which certainly describes them quite
>succinctly.

Greetings,
   I respectfully suggest that "circular" doesn't make enough distinction to
adequately separate it from "equal", which is also a circular temperament.
    My personal choice is to call them  simply "temperaments", and begin
dilineating them later.  However, I do think Owen chose an elegant solution
to nomenclature by using a term that was not only historically descriptive,
(wohl), but also universally associated with the genre,(the WTC).
     I like the term,  it is easily grasped by the public, and provides a
ready identity to a class of tunings that are rapidly becoming well known.
Regards,
Ed Foote