Steinway pinch

Mark Cramer cramer@BrandonU.CA
Thu Feb 24 09:25 MST 2000

Please bring me up to speed on the seasonal affectation with Steinway
key-blocks.  This is the first winter I've experienced the clatter of the
key-frame pins within the guides.  I assume this happens when the (crowned)
key-frame relaxes (sp?)  (summon the spelling-check police) due to dryness.

I'm not sure what was meant by the cardboard shims, are we placing these
beneath the ends of the key-frame.  I'm really wishing I could adjust the
key-block inserts down (seasonally) to take up the gap.  Thanks for any
clarity you can provide.

BTW, the soundboard seminar by all accounts was a tremendous success.  A
capacity crowd (40 technicians) witnessed the fitting of a soundboard and
bridges, bearing set, notching and pinning, and attended a fine recital and
reception.  Thanks to all who helped and attended, with sincerest admiration
for Andre and Christian Bolduc.  The skills these fellows poscess are
tripled in value by their willingness to share!

Mark Cramer, RPT
Cheeeef Technishun
Brandon University