NY Times Article

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Thu Feb 24 08:27 MST 2000

     Dad agonized over the term "Well Temperament."  He was unsuccessful in his
search for accurate and simple alternatives which were grammatically pleasing.   The
word "Well" was retained as there is no other single  word which appropriately
translates the german word "Wohl".  Words such as good, fine, healthy, nice,
pleasing, favorable, do not carry exactly the same shade(s) of meaning or
connotation.    The term "Well Tempered Clavier" is the universally accepted term in
our language for that collection of works.   Dad wanted to help dispel confusion
created by some textbooks of the last century, (twentieth century), which confused
equal temperament with well temperament and assumed the WTC was composed for ET.  The
term "Well temperament" is a noun which received its' name partly to maintain
consistency with the other accepted names of temperaments such as equal temperament
or meantone temperament.  I believe names can be exempted from grammatical rules.

-Mike Jorgrensen