Steinway pinch

Ron Torrella rontorrella@worldspy.net
Tue Feb 22 14:48 MST 2000

Fred Sturm wrote:

> Ron,
> I take it you find the retrofit to adjustable plates worth doing.

Yes.

> A couple questions:
> 1) Do you get them direct from Yamaha? Other?

Yamaha. They're called "key flame guides" - no kidding. That's what it says on
the package. I'll get the part number and post it, tomorrow.

> 2) Actual installation, just use a chisel to enlarge the cutout? Any tips?

I have some notes and drawings of some ideas - some of them mine, some my
colleague's.

> 3) The screwhead (adjusting) is a bit hard to get a blade on (geometry).
> Korean designs (Samick?) use a capstan. I like the Yamaha overall
> quality better, but the capstan seems an improvement. Anyone know a way to
> put capstans on a Yamaha plate (source for appropriate size capstan screw)?

In the diagram, you'll see that the cut-out you make allows for getting a small
screwdriver onto the head. Nothing shows above key level, btw. Capstan might be
nice, but can you make the adjustment without taking the cheekblock out of the
piano? (It's been a while since I saw such a config.)
--
Ron Torrella, RPT
Ypsilanti, MI