Steinway pinch

Hans E. Sanders hesand01@louisville.edu
Mon Feb 21 22:13 MST 2000

>>> fssturm@unm.edu 02/18/00 10:58AM >>>
This dry time of year, keyframe/keybed knocks show up in the outer
ranges of Steinway grands. Over the years, the cardboard installed for
adjustment disappears (is removed), and other things must be done. After
turning the pin to a less worn position, and occasionally replacing the
plate in the key block (if it is particularly worn), I have always
removed the dowels (cut flush and drill out) and sanded the bottom of
the key blocks enough to be able to add cardboard again. I have thought
of retrofitting something like the Yamaha system of adjutable plates (a
screw bearing down on what looks like nylon/teflon). Does anyone out
there do that? Any comments on whether that makes more sense than
removing wood from the bottom of the blocks, either from the point of
view of long term adjustment or amount of time/trouble involved?
Regards,
Fred S. Sturm, RPT
University of New Mexico