Steinway pinch

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon Feb 21 07:21 MST 2000

Ron,
I take it you find the retrofit to adjustable plates worth doing. A
couple questions:
1) Do you get them direct from Yamaha? Other?
2) Actual installation, just use a chisel to enlarge the cutout? Any
tips?
3) The screwhead (adjusting) is a bit hard to get a blade on (geometry).
Korean designs (Samick?) use a capstan. I like the Yamaha overall
quality better, but the capstan seems an improvement. Anyone know a way
to put capstans on a Yamaha plate (source for appropriate size capstan
screw)?
Thanks,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico