Carpal tunnel syndrome

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Tue Feb 15 07:00 MST 2000

At 12:30 PM 02/14/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>Dear List,
>
>I have a somewhat medical (though tuning-related) question for y'all.
>I am developing some pretty serious aches and pains in my left
>shoulder/arm/wrist. Also, tingling and numbness in my left fingers. I
>had a pretty bad pinched nerve in my neck throughout January (left
>side), but that has been helped tremendously by a physical therapist.
>Now this darn arm and wrist stuff flares up every time I tune a
>piano! I have switched to using a "bonker", instead of my fingers,
>for test blows. (The "bonker" is a piano hammer set in a short,
>papier-mache handle, that I can cradle in my left palm. It takes most
>of the impact of a test blow, though I still feel some shock in my
>wrist.) The bonker, plus some new stretches my physical therapist
>gave me, are helping the situation, but I am wondering if there is
>anything else I can do. Have other folks had experience with this
>problem? Any suggestions? Growing old is such a bitch, but
>considering the alternative, I guess I'm stuck! Thanks in advance...
>
>MarySmith@maill.utexas.edu

I like Henny Youngman's joke:

Patient: "Dr., it hurts when I do. . . this".

Doctor   "Well don't do that".

When I started to get chronic shoulder and neck aches I switched over
to more regulation work. Now I tune infrequently and get a lot of shop
work done.

See if you can delegate more tuning to others and attend to more
regulation/maintenance yourself.

Lots of good advice, quick as well.

Easy does it,

Jon Page