Carpal tunnel syndrome

Doug Richards Doug.Richards@quantum.com
Mon Feb 14 13:03 MST 2000

Mary,
Although I'm not a full-time tuner, I can tell you that I've experienced the
same problems to the point of total shutdown (might as well cut my arm off).
Three years later and a few medical doctors and chiropractors, if there was
anything I'd recommend doing is "LISTEN TO YOUR BODY".  If you think it
hurts now, it can get MUCH worse so please pursue any therapy you can.
Medical doctors got me through the pain and inflammation and chiropractic is
keeping me in stable condition.  Do your stretching and look at other ways
to remove the stress.

Best wishes!
C. Douglas Richards
San Jose, CA

-----Original Message-----
From: Mary Smith [mailto:MarySmith@mail.utexas.edu]
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2000 10:31 AM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: Carpal tunnel syndrome

Dear List,

I have a somewhat medical (though tuning-related) question for y'all.
I am developing some pretty serious aches and pains in my left
shoulder/arm/wrist. Also, tingling and numbness in my left fingers. I
had a pretty bad pinched nerve in my neck throughout January (left
side), but that has been helped tremendously by a physical therapist.
Now this darn arm and wrist stuff flares up every time I tune a
piano! I have switched to using a "bonker", instead of my fingers,
for test blows. (The "bonker" is a piano hammer set in a short,
papier-mache handle, that I can cradle in my left palm. It takes most
of the impact of a test blow, though I still feel some shock in my
wrist.) The bonker, plus some new stretches my physical therapist
gave me, are helping the situation, but I am wondering if there is
anything else I can do. Have other folks had experience with this
problem? Any suggestions? Growing old is such a bitch, but
considering the alternative, I guess I'm stuck! Thanks in advance...

MarySmith@maill.utexas.edu