use of concert piano

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Wed Feb 9 15:11 MST 2000

>List,
>We just received a CF3 Yamaha as a donation-very nice
>piano. I am pushing (again) to restrict the use of
>that instrument for practice. I need to get some
>feedback as to what other schools do.
>1. Do you restrict the use of your main concert
>instrument?
>2. If so, how much time do you allow
>for practice for piano majors preparing for a recital?
>3.If your hall is open all the time, as ours is, how
>do you monitor use of the piano, and if the piano is
>locked, how are keys given out?
>We will be meeting soon to write a policy on this, and
>your answers will be helpful.
>Thank you.
>Dave Forman, Westminster Choir College Of Rider
>University
>http://im.yahoo.com

David,

I was able to get our administration to agree to restrictions on piano use
when we got our new D.  Only piano majors, faculty, and visiting artists
may use the piano.  Students get one or two hours dress rehearsal.  Only
myself, piano faculty, administration, and the stage manager have a key.
There is a key in the music office that students can get when they are
scheduled to be in there.

This policy did ruffle some feathers.  They will ask you, why have this
nice piano if nobody can play it?  You have to pound in the fact that if
the piano is practiced on eighteen hours a day, it won't be a nice piano
very long.  I stress that our D is a performance piano.  The practice
pianos are upstairs in the little rooms.

chris

-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.   School of Music  Ohio University  Athens OH

-purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu   (740) 593-1656    fax# (740) 593-1429