Removing Let-Off Buttons

Greg Granoff gjg2@humboldt.edu
Wed Feb 9 12:38 MST 2000

Avery Todd wrote:

>    Thanks for the push, Conrad. I went ahead and tried it and straightened
> it out enough that there was only a "very" slight wobble. The tool is
> loose enough on the screws that it worked fine. The little wobble was the
> tool shank and the drill, not the let-off screw! About 10 minutes later
> and all the old buttons are now off!
>    Now if I only had 3 hands, I might be able to put the new ones on the
> same way. Oh well, can't have everything. :-)
>    Thanks again.

But wait: you can put the new ones on the same way.  Turn the regulating screws
back out until just the tips are projecting slightly from the underside of the
rail.  Then, holding the new buttons firmly up against the tip of the screws
with one hand, turn the screws slowly back down with the power driver or drill
into the button until you feel the screw 'catch' and the button wants to start
turning, indicating that the screw has bottomed out in the button.  At this
point, you should be only about half way throught the screw's travel in the
rail.
This method has always worked for me, and while it does require a little care,
saves a lot of time.

Greg