use of concert piano

Bdshull@aol.com Bdshull@aol.com
Wed Feb 9 11:10 MST 2000

Hi, Dave:

<< List,
 We just received a CF3 Yamaha as a donation-very nice
 piano. I am pushing (again) to restrict the use of
 that instrument for practice. I need to get some
 feedback as to what other schools do.>>

The CFIII's which I service are high maintenance instruments, like any
performance instrument.  The stability of voicing, action centers, and piano
wire fatigue are all related to the amount of use the piano receives.
Restringing might be required as soon as 5 years from new, or as infrequently
as 10-12 years, depending on how much restriction is placed on its use.

 <<1. Do you restrict the use of your main concert
 instrument?>>

Yes, until about 2 years ago, when the piano professor went on sabbatical.
Since then the department has ignored the policy.

 <<2. If so, how much time do you allow
 for practice for piano majors preparing for a recital?>>

The published policy is 3 hours.

<<3.If your hall is open all the time, as ours is, how
 do you monitor use of the piano, and if the piano is
 locked, how are keys given out?>>

Pianos were locked with combination locks, and release of the comb. #  was
restricted.   15 years ago we used a keyed lock which was a sub of the
building key, provided by the campus locksmith/security.  The combo lock was
used for 10 years.

I have just completed the prep of a 30's Hamburg "C" in the recital hall
which was recently rebuilt, and is always open.  Thanks for the reminder, I
need to get the department to enforce its policy again!

Bill Shull
University of Redlands, La Sierra University