THUD

Hans E. Sanders hesand01@louisville.edu
Thu Dec 7 11:56 MST 2000

Hi,
Let me try a shot at this THUD. It might be similar to what I am fighting with our 2 Steinway D's. The key frame is perfectly bedded. Now, you take the front key slip off and tap down on the key frame just in front under the offending keys. You need to hit that pretty hard with your fingers. If that creates that miracle THUD you have something. Now get yourself under the piano and hit the keybed from below with your fist upwards. I mean hitting the two front boards where the keyframe is resting on from below pretty hard. You might hear the same unpleasant THUD but now much louder. Now after  you have done that and it fits the same noise sit on the piano bench, the front key slip already removed, start playing the keys and support the keybed with your knee. The THUD is gone?
Now tell me, how can I support the sagging or weak keybed without my knees?

Hans Sander, RPT
University of Louisville

>>> jonpage@mediaone.net 12/03/00 09:30AM >>>
Roger,
The Damper upstop rail slapping on the belly rail is a good candidate.

Hardened guide rail felt is another possibility along with the damper head
itself being a bit loose on the wire.

Hmmmmmm...

Jon Page