humidity/CAUT

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Wed Apr 26 10:52 MDT 2000

The whole issue of how to quantify the effect of humidity swings,
especially coupled with modern air exchange systems, is extraordinarily
complex. I doubt we can get a truly firm handle on this, but it is clear
that the range of .70 to 1.00 as multiplying factors does not adequately
express the difference between the situation with reasonably good
climate control (whether building wide or with dampchaser systems) and
what happens when there is no climate control. Anecdotally, at UNM the
humidity stays mostly within the range of 20 - 30% during spring
semester for the most part (with occasional spiking). A piano in
reasonable tune at the beginning of the semester will generally stay
within 5 cents (not counting the new, loaner pianos) throughout the
semester. The humidity rises to 60 - 70% in the June to August period,
so that at the beginning of fall semester all pianos are 25 - 45 cents
sharp (requiring major pitch change, obviously). The humidity then
begins to drop, and reaches 10 - 20% in late November to December. I
tune the typical piano two additional times, each a major pitch raise of
15 - 30 cents.
	So in spring semester, with humidity stable, one tuning creates a
better overall situation than three tunings fall semester with humidity
swinging fairly dramatically. And those pianos in which I have installed
humidistat and heating element are considerably more stable fall
semester, but vary much more in fall than any piano spring semester.
	In other words, I think the humidity stability factor should be large
enough to create a difference in multiplication factor of over 100%,
rather than the current circa 50% difference. This being fudged with
just how tight a range we are trying to keep the average piano in. But I
doubt we can make this anywhere near an exact science, as the difference
between the effect of a given humidity swing in an old building (heated,
say, by radiators, like the small liberal arts college I attended 30
years ago in Ohio - humidity ranged from 20 - 90%, and the pianos
weren't tuned more than once a semester, but they stayed reasonably
close to pitch), and the same swing in a new building where the air is
exchanged many times a day is just astounding. The latter systems create
a constant (though not very noticeable) air movement, which magnifies
the movement of moisture into and out of the saoundboard wood. Probably
there should just be some verabl commentary to that effect, rather than
an attempt to ascertain just how much of a difference these modern HVAC
systems have made.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico