Steinway Key Dip

Mark Bolsius markbolsius@optusnet.com.au
Sun Apr 16 01:42 MDT 2000

>From Fred Sturm

> I note that the Steinway manual fails to specify where it
> is measured (I have assumed front of key, but would love to hear an
> official version).

G'day Fred,

I had an interesting experience relating to this in the factory at Hamburg.
I was there last year for four weeks and in the Concert Tech Academy for two
weeks (sorry...it's not available to you guys).

Anyway, The Steinway dip block is 9.5mm for Mod C & D and 9.75 mm for S thru
B. I started to set dip using the block in the normal way and aiming for
level with the top of the key. WRONG!  "Zis is too shallow!"

The supervisor set a few and it was definitely deeper - "Zis is correct!". I
couldn't get consistency using his samples and their block - mental/physical
inflexibility on my part - so I switched to my own 10mm block...set it to a
perfect 10mm level with the top of the key and was given an encouraging
smile when he returned to check how I was going "Yes...now you have it"

An inner grin and I continued on my merry way...but if you even suggest that
they are actually setting a 10mm dip..."Oh no the specification is 9.75 (or
whatever applied)

Make your own sense of it...

On Jon Page's response - I agree with him in that getting the geometry right
will give you the finesse you seek....I tend to find really well set-up
actions give the greatest response and flexibility with out too much
compromise to deal with players special requests.

Mark Bolsius
Bolsius Piano Services
Canberra Australia

http://www.bolsius-pianoservices.com.au

Sub-contract Tuner to Canberra School of Music