Guidelines

Fri Apr 14 09:24 MDT 2000

At 09:57 04/14/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Dave,
>Every institution has a obligation to protect and preserve the assets of
>the institution. .......
>Ken Eschete
>Northwestern
>
>>Don:
>>
>>I tried for a while to justify the cost of maintenance as "saving money"
>>because we're keeping the pianos in good condition.  .....

>>dave

I am not at a conservatory, but about 10 years ago an outside group
(S.C.O.R.E.) asked me to speak to them about my job and _they_ wondered
what my "inventory" was worth.  After adding it all up, it came in at well
over $2 million.  The school has since rethought insurance policy.

Perhaps if they are FULLY aware of the replacement cost of the instrument
inventory they would be more willing to see that paying you a salary is
cheaper than replacment costs.  They always respond to the bottom line.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician -mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College			-(319)-387-1204
700 College Drive
Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.
---Wm. Shakespeare - Merchant of Venice